Thursday 12 March 2009

The One That Is Showering With Praise . . .


I blogged a few days ago about mad-cap local authority plans to fill empty stores with what amounted to little more tax-payer funded propaganda and exhibition centres. Hardly the sort of thing to get the cash flowing down the High Street again.

I said what a shame it was that the identity of the High Street differed very little from town to town, with the same shops (or indeed now, the same empty shops) everywhere you go.

Huge kudos to former manager of the Dorchester branch of Woolies, Claire Robertson, who off her own back took over the vacant store with some of the old staff and opened 'Wellworths'. I doubt the queues will be out of the door every day as they are in the picture above, but I wish her all the best in her venture. People like her make me think that all is perhaps not lost. If only people like her were left the hell alone to get on with it.

I'm not in retail business, but I'm betting there's some penalty, obstacle or objection to her playing her part in keeping Dorchester High Street alive, employing some local people, and making a few quid. More power to her.

No comments: