Wednesday 12 January 2011

Ignorance.

I will admit that my attention has been lying elsewhere this week, so my thanks to 'Bill' in the comments in the article below for drawing my attention to it.

It does indeed sound like as heroic a rescue attempt as that of the Chilean miners, but we've heard nothing about it. I'll resist the urge to get my tin-foil hat out and speculate as to why that is.

Anyhow, I give you the Okhotsk Sea Crisis:



Yesterday, the Russians were talking about the rescue operation moving into the final, crucial stage, as the combined force of the two biggest icebreakers in the region moved in to try to extract the 32,000-ton Sodruzhestvo (pictured) from ice captivity in the Okhotsk Sea.

The latest report informs us that the icebreakers
Krasin and the Admiral Makarov have in fact reached the Sodruzhestvo, now confirmed with 348 crew members on board, and have started to lead her out to free waters. The route has been carefully planned, after extensive reconnaissance by helicopter. The pressure is on for a number of reasons, not least because meteorologists are predicting  that the weather will worsen sharply in the next two days. Winds are expected to strengthen and visibility to drop.

Do go over, read the whole thing, and ask yourself the same questions I am asking myself.

2 comments:

SaltedSlug said...

What you said. With all the indifferent trivia which does get reported; a story like this all be all over the place.

JohnRS said...

In the back of my mind is a picture of a fanatic in the Cult of The Green God looking out to sea with a pair of binoculars held up to his blind eyes saying "I see no ships".

"A man sees what he wants to see and disregards the rest"